This week’s been a bit of a blur as I juggled a bunch of assignments, but the weekend is finally here… and with it, a trip to the Museum of the Moving Image tomorrow for Jim Henson’s Fantastic World. I’ve been looking forward to this for a week now, ever since we saw a pamphlet for the exhibit at our new favorite bar, The Astor Room, last Friday night. The plan is to check out the Jim Henson exhibit tomorrow morning, then attend a screening of The Dark Crystal, then head to the beer garden.
Sounds like a pretty sweet Saturday, eh?
Moving along, here’s this week’s link roundup…
– If you had told me a week ago that “Black Dynamite” would make a good animated series, I would’ve been skeptical. This week, though, I agree 100%. Here’s what changed my mind:
– Mario Bros. + National Jitterbug Competition = Magical, Magical Dancing
– I love everything about this brilliantly subversive method of showing right-wing extremists there’s a way out of their scene:
Exit Deutschland, a German organization that helps right-wing militants exit their lifestyle, turned T-shirts into a subversive anti-racism device and handed them out at the 10th annual right-wing Rock für Deutschland concert in Gera, Germany.
The t-shirts were black with a white skull and the words “Hardcore Rebels” and “Nationalistic and free” on the front—pretty standard fare for these events. But when washed, the message faded away to expose a message below which translates to, “What your T-shirt can do, so can you – we’ll help you break with right-wing extremism” and a contact number for Exit Deutschland.
– I also love this teaser for Polaris Banks‘ DIY movie about Casey Jones. He was always my favorite Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles character…
If you’re one of the lucky ones who get to check out the full film this weekend in Austin (or at any place/time down the road), let me know how it is, okay?
– Sometimes I wonder about the evolutionary course of events that gave us the modern-day hipster. Thankfully, there’s a crash course:
– Finally, I want this ROM: Spaceknight statue so much it hurts. Seriously, I’m in pain. I MUST HAVE IT.
(via Statue Marvels)