It was a busy week here at MindPollution.org HQ, but it’s hard to complain when I spend it writing about topics I really, really enjoy. It’s a tough life, I know.
Moving on, here are this Friday’s links:
– In honor of Halloween, here’s a pretty awesome light display that — as a Gawker headline suggested — I’m happy I don’t live near.
This is Halloween, indeed.
– Planking is sooo earlier-this-year, folks. What’s the new trend?
And yes, I’m planning to submit my own “Tebowing” photo soon.
– With all of the protests and related chaos going down around the country, this reform bill proposed on Wil Wheaton’s site certainly seems like a level-headed solution:
Congressional Reform Act of 2011
No Tenure / No Pension. A Congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.
Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security. All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.
Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.
Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.
You can read the rest of the proposal, and his comments on it, over at his Tumblr page.
– Matt Smith’s comments about jumping to Hollywood in another year or so generated a lot of buzz around the Doctor Who scene, but I didn’t read into them nearly as much as everyone else seemed to. Thankfully, there’s been a few more follow-up interviews that have clarified his position on the show and his future with it.
But, speaking at the launch of the next series, he said: “It’s certainly not a part I want to give up any time soon.
“I kind of take it a year at a time and I finish shooting this season in a month so thereafter we’ll wait and see. There’s a Christmas special so I guess that means that everyone will sit down and figure it out, but it’s certainly something I’m keen to be involved with because I love it – it’s a thrilling job.”
While it doesn’t set anything in stone, it certainly sounds like he’s sticking around.
– From Tim Tebow to Doctor who and back to Tebow again…
Check out the Taiwanese-animation recap of Tebow’s first start of the 2011 season:
My favorite part is when he impales the dolphin with a spear.