The BBC released a new trailer for the upcoming season of “Doctor Who,” and it effectively ruined my plans for an early bedtime tonight.
It’s okay, “Doctor Who,” I forgive you.
There’s a lot to absorb in the footage, but here are some of my initial thoughts on the trailer:
- The scene in the room filled with Daleks is one of the most impressive Dalek moments we’ve had in a long time. I feel like it’s been ages since we got a Dalek scene that looked genuinely terrifying. This one certainly seems to qualify.
- The look on The Doctor’s face when he says, “Dinosaurs… on a spaceship!” is priceless. That’s what Matt Smith does better than any of the other Doctors in the modern series — he can marvel at a ridiculous situation just as much as the rest of us.
- I hope the guy with the rifle is hunting dinosaurs, and at some point he says, “Clever girl.”
- If that’s Cleopatra in the trailer, I wonder if they’ll reference The Doctor’s past relationship with her. The Tenth Doctor (as well as a few of the other generations) has hinted that he had, well… intimate… knowledge of the Queen of Egypt.
- I love that Amy points out how crazy The Doctor gets when he travels alone for too long.
- That scene with the Weeping Angel cherub is the stuff of nightmares. And I had just started to get over my fear of statues.
- The Doctor gets to wear a Stetson again!
- That scene with The Doctor, Amy, and Rory riding a triceratops? Also priceless.
- And while that was a great final scene, with The Doctor carrying Amy’s body and the whole, “Who killed all the Daleks?” stuff, at this point it’s hard to believe the Daleks will ever be wiped out completely. How many times have we seen “their entire race” obliterated? But you know what? I don’t care. As long as The Doctor keeps being The Doctor, I’ll cheer every time.
This Fall can’t come soon enough!
Okay, time for bed now…